DONATE TO MCC RESEARCH AT DR. NGHIEM'S LAB AT THE UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON
Any money you choose to donate would be used to advance three main goals related to Merkel cell carcinoma:
- Educating new Merkel cell carcinoma patients and their physicians about this serious and uncommon disease. Our Merkel cell carcinoma website serves as a resource for patients around the world, free of charge, to help guide management of this disease about which many physicians are not familiar.
- Monitoring disease status.
We have developed a new test that can be carried out on a tiny amount of blood from Merkel cell carcinoma patients. This can tell, often before it is visible on a body scan, if this cancer is returning or not. It also can provide greatly appreciated reassurance for patients when it is negative, indicating their cancer is not staging a comeback.
- Understanding and reversing immune evasion. We have found that a patient’s “killer T cells” are important in fighting Merkel cell carcinoma and that when they are present in the tumor, patients do very well. We also have discovered ways that this cancer sometimes evades such T cells. We believe that strategic use of existing and emerging immune therapies will allow us to activate T cells to overcome the cancer’s immune evasion strategies. We believe that these insights and tools will significantly improve the prospects of current and future patients with Merkel cell carcinoma.
While portions of our research endeavors can be very expensive, all contributions help make a difference. For example, our website is exclusively supported by donors. Funds are used for server fees, updates and website maintenance, and we are now also working towards increasing the visibility of our website so that newly diagnosed patients and their physicians may find us early after diagnosis -- the most critical time.
Your donation to our Merkel cell carcinoma research effort would be tax deductible, and 100% of your donation would go directly to our research and educational efforts. The family will also receive an acknowledgement letter when a donation is made "in honor" or "in memory" of an MCC patient.
If you are interested in supporting these efforts, please make your check payable to
"University of Washington MCC Research" and send to:
Paul Nghiem, MD, PhD
University of Washington, Dermatology
850 Republican St.
Brotman Building - Room 242, Box 358050
Seattle, WA 98109
Alternately, you can now make your donation online via UW Foundation:
- Go to https://secure.gifts.washington.edu/uw_medicine/gift.asp?source_typ=2&source=EFF
- Select "Merkel Cell Carcinoma Fund" (found at bottom of list)
- Click "Continue" and fill out form with your information.
Seattle Cancer Care Alliance UW South Lake Union